Change Yourself

Thought Thought (Day 27 - 27 July 2013)



instead of trying to change the world.


This is the story of a sweet little girl who thought the world did not think she was sweet enough.

Let us call her Lilly. Lilly has an elder sister, Jas. Jas was in the 10th class and Lilly, in her 5th. Lilly thought everyone favoured only Jas because she impressed people with her charming lies. But in reality, Jas was multi-talented. She was very good in her academics, extracurricular activities and was also courteous.  

Though Lilly was not academically strong, everyone thought she was a very pleasant girl to be around. She tried extra hard to please everyone. She believed that was the way to make people like her. 

Once their uncle had come home and had brought just one toy for the girls. Jas was not home when he reached, so he gave the toy to Lilly and said, "This is a very special toy from abroad and you have to share it with Jas when she wants to play". Lilly thought that her uncle did not want her to have the special toy and that he wanted to give it to Jas. She got offended and said, "No, I do not want to share it with anyone. It is either mine or Jas's". When uncle insisted that she has to share, Lilly said she did not want the toy at all.

Once Jas was back home, when uncle called Jas aside, Lilly hid behind the cupboard to see what was happening. Uncle gave Jas the toy and said, "This special toy is just for you, Jas". And Jas asked, "Then what have you got for Lilly". When uncle said, "No Jas, this is a special toy. This is for a special girl only" to which Jas replied, "Then this has to be given to Lilly. She is the special baby in my family, she is my sister, and she is my best friend. If you did not get her anything, then I don’t want this. It is either for both of us or for none".

When Lilly heard her sister talk so, she ran from her hiding place and hugged her sister as tight as she could. Though she was only 10yr old, she had the immense maturity to say, "Jas, even now I thought you were acting smart to please uncle and others, as always. For a minute I changed my attitude about you and everything else around me changed. I now realize you always love me and you are indeed a very nice person. Am ashamed that I was this shallow for so long. I love you too, Jas”.

You only need a minute to change how the world perceives you. You only need to change your attitude.

0 comments:

Post a Comment